Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I did it!!! All on my own!

Those who know me, know I am not very "domestic" I don't own a sewing machine, I don't know how to knit, or crochet and I struggle getting creative ideas on my own. Well since I found the wonderful world of blogging I have found so many wonderful ideas I decided to self teach myself.

My project this time was to create a valance from hand for my side door that is by my fireplace. The door is never used for going in and out, we only open it during the summertime for the wonderful breeze. I have never put any type of window dressing on it because I never found one I liked.

Well one evening as I was wandering through the blogs that I have subscribed to, I found exactly what I wanted. I thought, okay, I know I want it to look like that but in my true fashion, do you think I printed out the directions or even bookmarked the page? Of course not! I had the picture of it in my mind, I booked over to Joanne Fabrics and found the material I wanted. Now being a true newbie, i went to have it cut and gave the girl my dimensions in inches not yards because I didn't realize that is how they measure and bill. The salesgirl was very nice though and did the calculations for me as I sat there covering my face, mortified! But she said it happens all the time. So I came home with all my goodies ready to go! I thought, oh, I can get this done in a couple of hours.....Yeah right! Took me a couple of evenings after work, since I sewed it all by hand.

But after all the finger sticks, sore neck muscles, and almost going cross eyed I finally finshed it. My own homemade valance! It may not look like a professional piece but I am proud of it!

Here it is...drumroll please!
Like I said earlier, I didn't bookmark the page that I found this on so forgive me bloggers for not giving credit where credit is due for this fine idea. I will do much better in the future with that!

I am participating with this for Thrifty Thursdays over at Bloggeritaville!

I'm linking to Transfomation Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. wow! I think it looks beautiful! great job! I found your blog through a link party and I am your newest follower. I would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki!
    Thanks! Sure I am going to go right over and follow you....and I am going to even forward your page to my husband who is the chef in our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, I just stumbled upon your blog and am not sure if you are even keeping it up anymore but it did look interesting enought to stop by and say hi. I love your new valance. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. It's great to meet new people. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete